Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Still-In-Plastic-Wrap: The Dark Knight Rises

FINALLY DONE WITH ONE CATEGORY! Ok, so I've decided I can be a little more sporadic in future viewing so I'll be tackling movies from different categories... but on to my final "Still in the Plastic" flick

The Dark Knight Rises

How long I have owned it: I bought it for $5 (common occurrence for me) about a month or so ago.

What memories or emotions does it elicit: So, probably one of the reasons its taken me so long to watch this is because I don't really have any strong memories of seeing it (only once). In fact I can't even remember if it was in the theater or at home, which is strange for me. The reason for this is likely that this movie came out the summer of 2012. I lost a really good friend that February and loved talking movies with him. If I didn't see the last  Batman movie with him, I likely talked over it with him discussing the redemptive qualities--but I will talk more about him in my "In Memory" category. Honestly all I remember thinking was that this movie was a setup for another movie.

Lights, Camera, Action: So it's taken me a while to get to this one because it's a "heavier" movie and I really have to be in the mood to watch an action flick especially with how long it is. It's a rainy (Tuesday) afternoon and I've got myself all geared up to watch it.

After thoughts: So I think upon second watching, several new things stick out to me... This movie is in a strange way about finishing well. No matter what choices the characters have made in the past,  they can get something done and pass on a legacy to others. Bruce Wayne () accepts that he must face his early demons (again), accept the death of his love, and show himself as the hero again. I know I eluded to being distracted by the "set up" fo to star in his own flick, but I think this time I just saw the passing the torch aspect of it all. Bruce is finally able to accept Alfred's () advice to move on with his life. Com. Gordon () deals with the choices he made and call his fellow officers to duty. Catwoman () choses to stand for something noble and stand by her man (I couldn't resist). I really enjoyed the acting in the movie (yes, despite the scruffy Batman voice) and thought it was great casting. Anne is probably my favorite Catwoman so far (no offense to Michelle or Halle). If they do ever make another one with JGL as Robin, Nightwing, or whoever, I'd watch it.

Verdict: um... can I put this off until I watch the other two again? I mean if I keep one, does that mean I have to keep them all? Thing is, I like this movie, but I'm just not sure how often I am going to watch it.



**Seven degrees: Anne Hathaway in Les Miserables (2014).

No comments:

Post a Comment