Sunday, May 18, 2014

Still-In-Plastic-Wrap: Les Miserables (2012)

Changed up the background to make it more movie-theater-esk with the red curtain and created a new page to keep up with my progress... OK, next movie!!

Les Miserables (2014) 

When did I get it: Day after Thanksgiving at my annual see-what's-left-at-Target-after-9am-trip (I don't do the early morning deal)

What memories/emotions does it elicit: The musical has been my favorite for years -- first introduced to musical in high school (partially thanks to an episode of Dawn's Creek where Joey sang On My Own and the other part because I hung out with a lot of musical folks). I have memories of deut-ing Little Drop of Rain with one my high school buddies during a late night ride around town during a college spring break; introducing college students in South Africa to the redemptive story during the Summer of 2003; seeing the musical live for the first time with my best friend at the Fox; eagerly anticipating the debut of this movie with many of my friends in Augusta; and most recently got to see one of my friends perform a superb version of Madame Thenardier at the Augusta Player's performance in the Fall. This movie elicits emotions of heartache, hope, and inspiration...

Lights, Camera, Action: It's a rainy Sunday afternoon here in Augusta. I usually spend my Sunday afternoons doing laundry, grocery shopping, and dreading going back to work -- NOT THIS SUNDAY! I have just finished a leisurely picnic lunch of Greek food and chatting with friends. Now, I've made my list of things I should get done by next Sunday and am looking forward to enjoying this movie... and likely singing along.

After thoughts: Did I sing? Of course. Did I get chill bumps during Bring Him Home? Yep. Did I get misty during the Finale? Uh huh. There are so many reasons I love this version. The actors sang their parts as it was being filmed instead of pre-recording their voices in studio--gives so much emotional depth to the songs. Since I also own the non-musical Liam Neeson version (circa 1998), I'll save some of my deeper thoughts of the story for that post. But I will say that the music aids in emphasizing the responses to two men in the story who are confronted with grace & mercy: Jean Valjean when the Bishop gives him the silver and Javert when Jean Valjean spares his life behind the barricade. One choses to embrace it and the other choses to escape it. I love the casting for this movie -- yes, even , God love 'em. I mean  actually made me like Cosette. Yes, that's right, I'm team Eponine--played boldly b. (Did you miss the whole On My Own and Little Drop of Rain references earlier?)  did beautifully as Fantine (snagged herself a couple of awards for it too).  as love-struck Maris and  as revolutionary Enjolras were amazing.  and Helena Bonham Carter played the scene-stealing Thenardiers to a tee. And Mr.  was INCREDIBLE as the lead Jean Valjean (why he didn't win more awards that just a Golden Globe is beyond me). So, I usually end up wanting to do something great after I watch this movie -- Who wouldn't with final words like this:

Will you join in our crusade?
Who will be strong and stand with me?
Somewhere beyond the barricade
Is there a world you long to see?
Do you hear the people sing?
Say, do you hear the distant drums?
It is the future that they bring
When tomorrow comes...
Tomorrow comes! 


Verdict: Keeper - duh!

(Connections to last movie -- Helena Bonham Carter in both playing vastly different characters AND same director Tom Hooper--Might have a fun game of seven degrees of separation starting)


2 comments:

  1. I have to agree with everything you said Sher!! I absolutely LOVE this movie. Also though Hugh Jackman was just amazing. I'd say you better keep this one! ;)
    -Megan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting Megan!

    ReplyDelete