Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Still-In-Plastic-Wrap: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1

When did I get this: Same time as Les Miserables -- Black Friday, Target, after 9am...

What memories/emotions does it elicit: Four years ago, after completing my Master's in Marriage & Family Therapy, I was desperate to read ANYTHING other than a text book. I had many friends who had read the books (and later when I watch the other films, I'll talk about who introduced me to them) and had been promised they were excellent. So starting in May of 2010 and on through August, I read all 7 books. So by the time this film hit the theaters, it was the first time I saw the movie after I read the books -- which was REALLY exciting for me. Of course, there's the inevitable let-down of such a feat as you hit those "why didn't/did they do that?!?" moments. And this portion of the story has a lot of slow bits. I have one good friend who calls it the worlds' longest camping trip. Really enjoy these movies and one bonus is that there is a lot more they can do with a book when they split it up. So let's get to it. 

Lights, Camera, Action: I must confess that I was feeling rather ambitious Sunday evening and thought I had it in me to watch one more movie for the weekend. I picked this one because it's a "no brainer" for me as I love these films... well, a fell asleep during the more dragging bit I mentioned above... No reflection on the film, just one of the pit-falls of being over ambitious about movie watching. I had some hesitation to get back to it today (Monday) but as I've wound down from my first official work-less day, I think I will take a crack at finishing the last bit of the movie (probably the most exciting parts).

After Thoughts: (It's Tuesday--didn't fall asleep, just too sleepy to finish blogging) OK so I over-emphasized the slow bits before but this film has some of the most crazy scenes starting with the beginning with Harry leaving 4 Privet Drive for the last time (which the movie glosses over the significance); Dombledore's gifts; adventures with polly juice potion in the ministry of magic; Ron battling the Horcrux (with scandalous visions); hearing the Deathly Hallows story; and DOBBY TO THE RESCUE! I really love the whole Ron-redemptive portion of this movie. I have a bit of soft spot for Ron, being a bit of a Hermione myself. This movie ends quite bleakly and glad that there's hope in the second half (which I do own, btw, so you that to look forward to--along with the others in "You're a Wizard, Harry" category). 

Verdict: Keeper

(Seven degrees: Another  appearance... I didn't realize I owned so many movies with her in them... interesting.)



No comments:

Post a Comment