Thursday, June 19, 2014

Witches, Pirates, and Mummies OH MY: The Mummy

The Mummy

How long have I owned it: Um since finishing undergrad but I think it was very soon after (and according to the sticker on the front, I got it for $2.99 -- boom) 

Memories/Emotions: THE MAGIC BAG!! Ok, so the first time (I remember) watching this movie was with a bunch of my friends who were over at my house my senior year of high school. We made fun of the movie RELENTLESSLY and we're especially fascinated by the big bag-o-guns that kept "magically" appearing wherever it was needed. It survived burning boats, dips in the Nile, Mummy-induced dust storms, and countless other adventures. We often made reference back to this movie but only as "the Magic Bag." I even got a graduation present from one of my friends in a brown paper sack with "the Magic Bag" written on it.

Lights, Camera, Action: I keep having these lofty ideas to "WATCH A MOVIE EVERYDAY" but trying to carve out 2 hours to watch movies in my *cough, cough* busy-work-less schedule has been slightly challenging. I woke up earlier that I usually do today and thought, "why not go ahead a watch a movie with breakfast!" So I did. I had already picked out this movie earlier in the week as my last three movies got me in a sequels kind of mood. I will go ahead and dispel your worries as I do not own the third Mummy movie as it was sad and horrible -- but mostly because they changed actresses on me; I don't like that. I will also warn you that Brendan Fraser is one my favorite actors... to look at. He's adorable -- felt this way since Encino Man :) 

After thoughts: Man, I forgot how terribly wonderful this movie is. I was slightly distracted by some of the historical references which I thought might be questionable -- like the whole 10 plagues being a part  of Egypt's history and the Mummy knowing about Hebrew slaves -- made me want to brush up on my Ancient history (or at least check in with my friend Google -- about 44,900 results for "historical inaccuracy in the mummy"). That aside, nothing but good ole fashion fun. I mean what's not to like about a ridiculously clumsy yet beautiful lady being whisked around the dessert hunting treasure by a resourceful, handsome man... oh and there's a Mummy in there, too. Ha! But seriously, I do enjoy this movie though it was a lot longer than I remember it being.

Verdict: Keeper 



**TGMGT Seven Degrees: OK, so I don't remember if I decided I could ONLY use movies I own but I think that is too complicated (and may deter me from watching a movie until I could pick it). So this movie connects to the Oceans (11, 12, &13) movies: Don Cheadle and Brendan Fraser starred in Crash together. (Gotta love Mega-Ensemble-Cast-Movies). 

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Magic Bag! Such great memories. FYI, we should do a blog team up of book versus movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But books are always better than the movies... :) One exception may be Mocking Jay (hopefully).

      Delete