Sunday, June 1, 2014

Text-Book-Chick-Flicks: When Harry Met Sally

Text Book Chick-Flicks: I found this pretty great blog post (found here) about the components of a romantic comedy (rom-coms) including: the Meet Cute; Reflective Friends; the Exit and Chase; and the Speech and Kiss. So for my first offering I pick one of my all time favorites...

When Harry Met Sally

When did I get this: I have nooo idea. I got it after undergrad at least (I put a sticker with my campus address in all the movies I had during college).

Memories/emotions: I've watched this movie so many times I can't think of any vivid memories. I do remember the last time I watched it was like a year ago because I texted a picture of me watching it to my "little" cousin Misty who credits me for introducing her to this flick. She's 10 years younger than me and considering some of the "adult" material in the movie, that makes me laugh.

Lights, Camera, Action: It's Friday night (or was when I watched this/started this entree) and I'm stayin in to watch movies! My last flick got me in a  kind of mood... so I came to this old favorite. Here's the text-book-ness of this one:
Meet Cute: Harry () catches a ride with Sally from Chicago to New York; then they meet again on an airplane; and then they meet again in a book store
Reflective Friends: Jess () for Harry and Maire () for Sally -- and funny twist, they get together before H and S.
Exit and Chase: Confrontation at Jess and Maire's wedding over the incident when their friendship crossed the "benefits" line
Speech and Kiss: New Year's Eve and a good one by Harry "I love that you get cold when it's 71 degrees out. I love that it takes you an hour and a half to order a sandwich. I love that you get a little crinkle above your nose when you're looking at me like I'm nuts. I love that after I spend the day with you, I can still smell your perfume on my clothes. And I love that you are the last person I want to talk to before I go to sleep at night. And it's not because I'm lonely, and it's not because it's New Year's Eve. I came here tonight because when you realize you want to spend the rest of your fhlife with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible." Then they kiss after Sally tells him she hates him :)

After thoughts: Dang, I do enjoy this movie. I mean how could you go wrong with  writing and  directing. I consider it the quintessential movie about the dynamics of male and female relationship as it attempts to answer the age-old question: Can men and women be friends? Personally, I think the answer from the movie is yes but that sex and emotional dependence complicate male-female friendships. Without getting to technical on y'all (I am a licensed marriage and family therapist after all), I think emotional connection complicate things and yes, I am "one of those people" who believes that sex is all about emotional connection. But I think one thing this movie handles well is that emotional connections mean something and you can't take them for granted. OK, off my soapbox. This movie is so hilarious -- from the days of the week underwear to being high maintenance when you think you are low maintenance to "I'll have what she's having." I must admit I had a whole new appreciation when Sally has her emotional breakdown as I'll be the same age as her in less than two months and I get it. Well, all in all a great movie experience. 

Verdit: Keeper



**Seven degrees: easier than last time -- Meg Ryan in both this movie and Joe versus the Volcano (and her ex-boyfriend in this movie was named Joe as well...interesting)

No comments:

Post a Comment