Sunday, June 29, 2014

The Classics: Adam's Rib

Adam's Rib

When did I get it: I am not really sure but at least four years ago. It was in a four pack with three other Katherine Hepburn flicks (love her!).

What memories/emotions does it ellicit: So, I don't specifically have memories of seeing this movie. I know I've seen it at least once in my life. My dad's parents (who both passed away within the last year) used to watch old movies with us. My most vivid memories were watching musicals with my Grann. I miss them both so much.

Lights, Camera, Action: OK, Sunday afternoon and wanted to watch something low key (that I might possibly fall asleep to but could turn back on after a nap). Need a little strong female influence to help get me motivated to stay strong during this "work-less" time in my life.

After thoughts: So I didn't remember much of this movie so there is a fair chance this was the first time. I really enjoy Katherine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy. They have great chemistry in this interesting situation of the film: They play opposing counsel for a case were a woman tries to shoot her cheating husband and her mistress (funny since Katherine was Tracy's long time mistress). I can imagine this was a very progressive movie with the equal rights for women agenda. I think the movie handled it well (with the classic movie use of mild domestic violence of course) and showed that both men and women have their "roles" and can interchanged if needed. I also have Woman of the Year to watch again (which this theme are even stronger). All in all, enjoyable movie. I just love the rich dialogue of classic movies. They don't depend on lighting or mood music or special effects but just personality and words.

Verdict: Keeper (well, at least until I watch the other three films in the pack!)



**TGMGT Seven Six degrees: Oh this is a tough one. (And I needed to use google and IMDB I must confess. And of course - KEVIN BACON. Here it goes: Both Katherine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy were in Guess Who's Coming To Dinner with Sidney Poitier (1). Sidney Poitier and Dianne Wiest appeared in The Simple Life of Noah Dearborn (2). Dianne Wiest and Kevin Bacon appeared in Footloose (3). Kevin Bacon and Tom Hanks appeared in Apollo 13 (4). And Tom Hanks was already seen in TGMGT in Joe Versus the Volcano (5). Whew!** 

No comments:

Post a Comment