Friday, June 27, 2014

Witches, Pirates, and Mummies OH MY: The Mummy Returns

Soo, when I went to start my blog post for the movie I was going to watch today (Friday) I realized that I never blogged about watching this -- a week ago. Whoopse.

The Mummy Returns

When did I get it: IN COLLEGE (I know because it has the address label in the front). So that means I got this before The Mummy -- random.

What emotions/memories does it elicit: Other than being the Magic Bag 2, not really many stand out, except that I actually like this sequel better than the original. It was a much more complex story and had a lot more minor characters too (I am sucker for a good ensemble cast).

Lights, Camera, Action: Well, as I mentioned before, I watched this a week ago. I remember it being a hot afternoon and being "tired" from going to a 3 hour training for my PRN job. Plus, the Oceans movies got me in the mood to watch sequels.

After thoughts: This is still my favorite out of the Mummy movies (again, don't own the 3rd because it was crap -- minus adorable Brendan of course). This movie takes place 9 years after the first (even though only shot 3 years later -- love movie magic) and was less distracting on the historical inaccuracy side but still weird that the female characters were "reincarnated" versions of the Mummy's gal and Pharaoh's daughter... Also, the whole having an 8 year old is kind of weird because they just drag him around the world and let him play with possibly cursed ancient artifacts? (OK, I know. My therapist brain is getting in the way). I DO really like this movie. The scavenger hunt part is fun with the son having to build little sand castles so his parents can find him. Plus you get this big bad guy who is his guard (Mr. Eco from LOST! I know, I'm one of "those" people-who-associate-actors-with-characters-they-play). I also enjoy the colorful friend with the dirigible who feared being shot, again. Of course, I have to mention the Scorpion King -- wow 2001, that's the best you can do? I do like that this movie gives meaning to Rick's life and fulfills why he's such as badass (which makes making a third film  insane). Not to shabby for after thoughts, having watched the movie a week ago.

Verdict: Keeper



**TGMGT: Half the cast was in The Mummy, so...**

No comments:

Post a Comment